Current:Home > reviewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthX
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 01:26:12
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- A Pennsylvania coroner wants an officer charged in a driver’s shooting death. A prosecutor disagrees
- After another mass shooting, a bewildered and emotional NBA coach spoke for the country
- Live updates | Israeli forces conduct another ground raid in Gaza ahead of expected invasion
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- People are protesting for Palestinians, Israel on Roblox. But catharsis comes at a price.
- On Halloween, here's how to dress up as earth's scariest critter — with minimal prep
- Here's What John Stamos and Demi Moore Had to Say About Hooking Up in the 1980s
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Taylor Swift Reveals Original Lyrics for 1989’s “New Romantics” and “Wonderland”
Ranking
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Democratic Rep. Jared Golden reverses course, now in favor of assault weapons ban after Maine mass shootings
- US troops targeted again in Iraq after retribution airstrikes
- Acapulco residents are fending for themselves in absence of aid
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- These numbers show the staggering toll of the Israel-Hamas war
- Coast Guard ends search for 3 Georgia fishermen missing at sea for nearly 2 weeks
- College football Week 9: Seven must-watch games include Georgia-Florida
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Tokyo’s Shibuya district raises alarm against unruly Halloween, even caging landmark statue
This week on Sunday Morning (October 29)
Rush hour earthquake jolts San Francisco, second in region in 10 days
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
China’s chief epidemiologist Wu Zunyou who helped drive the anti-COVID fight dies at age 60
Taylor Swift is a billionaire: How Eras tour, concert film helped make her first billion
How to grow facial hair: Tips from a dermatologist